Zenzai (Red Bean Soup with Rice Cake) has a sweet flavor that can be enjoyed warm or cold.
- ½ lb dried aduki beans
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 mochi rice cakes for the topping
- Soak the beans in cold water over-night.
- Drain and replace the water, so that there is about 3 times more water than aduki beans.
- Bring to the boil, and then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about half an hour until the beans are tender.
- Adjust the thickness of the soup by adding water or taking some away as necessary.
- Add the sugar and boil for another hour.
- Add the salt.
- The soup can be served hot in winter, or ice cold in summer.
- The beans can be left whole, or they can be slightly mashed, or pressed through a sieve to remove the skins, producing a velvety consistency.
- Top with one moshi rice cake per serving.