Banana Tempura is a delectable dessert that will please any palate.
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup iced water
- ¾ cup tempura flour (or mix cornflour and self raising flour at a ratio of 2:3)
- 4 small bananas
- Caster sugar and honey to serve
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or heavy saucepan to 325o F, to a temperature at which a cube of bread browns in 20 seconds.
- Mix the egg and water thoroughly together in a bowl and then stir in the tempura flour.
- Do not be tempted to whisk the batter.
- A lumpy appearance, with small lumps of unmixed flour, is what is wanted.
- Split the bananas into quarters, lengthways and crossways.
- Dip each quarter in the batter and deep-fry a few at a time for about 2 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Serve drizzled with warmed honey.