Kabocha Soup (Pumpkin Soup) is a delightful cool weather.
- ½ lb peeled diced seeded kabocha
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 4 inches kombu
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6oz firm tofu
- 4 dried shitake mushroom caps
- 3 tablespoons soy
- Salt to taste
- Spring onions
- Wipe salty deposits off the kombu and place in a pan with the water.
- Heat until just before boiling point and allow the kombu to infuse in the water for a moment or two.
- Soak the shitake mushrooms in warm water.
- When they are soft slice finely, discarding woody stems.
- Keep the soaking liquid.
- Crush the tofu and fry in the vegetable oil.
- Add the diced kabocha, the shitake mushrooms and the ginger.
- Pour over the kombu broth mixed with the shitake soaking liquid.
- Simmer until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add sesame oil and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in four bowls garnished with finely sliced spring onions.