Ochazuke (Green Tea Risotto) is a delicious dish that a novice cook can master.
- 4 cups cooked Japanese rice
- 4 umeboshi plums, stoned and finely chopped
- I dessert-spoon furikake (mixed sesame seed and sea salt)
- 1 spring onion very finely sliced
- 1 dessert-spoon finely grated ginger
- 1 sheet nori
- 1 salmon steak
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly made green tea
- 1 teaspoon wasabi
- Cut the nori into fine, strips.
- Rub the salt into the salmon steak and grill or dry-fry until cooked. Allow to cool, then pull it apart into flakes.
- Put cooked rice into a bowl, heating it if it is cold by pouring boiling water over it and immediately draining.
- Add the spring onion, ginger, furikake, nori, and flaked salmon steak to the warm rice and mix.
- Divide rice into four individual bowls and pour freshly made green tea over the rice until it reaches half-way the level of the rice.
- Top with the chopped umeboshi plums, and serve with a small dollop of wasabi in a dipping saucer by the side.