This ice cream is a favorite in Japanese restaurants and a popular flavor in Japan.
- 2 tablespoons matcha
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 ½ cups double cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- First dissolve the matcha in the hot water and allow to cool.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Heat the cream over a gentle heat and bring to the boil.
- To make the custard ice-cream base, slowly add some of the hot cream to the eggs, then pour the eggs into the cream and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring gently.
- The custard is ready when it coats the back of a wooden spoon and steam rises.
- Have an ice water bath ready.
- Pour the custard into a bowl, and place the bowl in the ice water bath to cool.
- Stir in the dissolved matcha.
- When the mixture has cooled sufficiently, freeze it in an ice-cream machine for approximately 20 minutes.