Chicken and daikon in Vinegar Soy Sauce, or Tori to Daikon su Nikomi, is the perfect dish for cold winter months.
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thighs and drumsticks with bones
- 6 cups dashi
- 1 whole daikon, peeled and sliced into ½ inch thick rounds
- 8 tablespoons shoyu
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 1 clove garlic, chopped in half
- Finely chopped spring onions to garnish
- Place the chicken in a pot with enough dashi to cover it.
- Heat over a medium flame.
- Cut the daikon slices in half to form semi circular pieces.
- Add them to the pot.
- When the pot begins to boil lower the heat.
- Add garlic, shoyu, mirin, and sake.
- Put on a lid and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- As the chicken cooks skim the pot from time to time to remove any residues.
- If the dish seems too liquid, pour the gravy into a saucepan and boil rapidly to reduce.
- Then add back to the chicken and daikon.
- Serve warm garnished with spring onions.