Enjoy that Beef Teriyaki dish that you love at home with this flavorful Japanese recipe.
- 4 rump steaks (6oz each)
- 4 tablespoons shoyu
- 4 tablespoons sake
- 8 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Shanso pepper (if available)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 3 oz daikon radish, peeled
- Small bunch watercress
- Before you begin, marinate the meat for one or two hours.
- To make the marinade combine the shoyu, sake, mirin, sugar, grated ginger and garlic.
- Then place the steaks in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them.
- Leave in a cool place and turn once during the marinating period.
- Take the peeled daikon and grate it finely.
- Squeeze it to get rid of any excess juice.
- Finely chop the green chilies and add to the mixture.
- Take the mixture and form it into cone shaped mounds.
- Cut the garlic into thin slices.
- Brown briefly in a frying-pan with the vegetable oil and remove to a warm plate.
- Turn up the heat of the frying-pan, scrape the marinade off the steaks and reserve.
- Place the steaks in the pan and cook for 4 minutes each side for medium rare, 3 minutes each side for rare, and 5 minutes each side for well done.
- Be careful, as the marinade can cause the steak to brown very quickly.
- Two minutes before the steak is cooked add the marinade to the pan and reduce by one third. Transfer the steaks to a carving board and using a sharp knife cut them into diagonal strips.
- Season with sansho pepper.
- Spoon over the sauce, sprinkle with the browned garlic, scatter some watercress on top and place a mound of daikon mixture on each steak.
- Serve hot.